Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a of articles CCHRC published in the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner under the heading Ask a Builder responding to homeowner inquiries and current events pertaining to cold climate housing.
- What's the difference between "hot" and "cold" roofs?
- When should I worry about snow load on the roof?
- What is the REMOTE Wall system and how does it reduce energy cost?
- What is double wall construction and will it work for me?
- What is the safe amount of exterior insulation to add in a retrofit?
- How does mold affect my home?
- What are the different types of insulation?
- Preventing condensation on your windows
- How can windows cut energy costs?
- Is it worth paying for more expensive windows?
- What are the best windows for extreme cold climates?
- What are different door options to help insulate my home?
- Why is home orientation important?
- What is passive solar design?
- What are the challenges of building on permafrost?
air/moisture in the home
- How do vapor barriers and house wraps work?
- How is air quality affected in a well sealed home?
- What are "vapor leaks" and how do they affect my home?
- What is "vapor drive" and how does it affect my home?
- What is stack effect?
- Do I need a vapor barrier on a raised floor?
- Why does condensation form on the windows?
- How to keep particulates out of the house
- How do I inspect my chimney for safety?
- How do I burn wood cleanly and effectively?
- What are the benefits of heating with wood?
- What are the economic benfits of heating with wood?
- What are the different wood burning space heaters?
- How does a masonry heater work?
- Supply air for your wood stove
- How long does it take to season wood in the Interior?
- Should I use an oil-fired boiler or an electric water heater to heat my water in the summer?
- How do boilers work?
- Understanding common boiler vocab
- What are the benefits of on-demand water heaters?
- How do tankless hot water heaters work?
- How do I care for my home septic system?
- Should I use a water heater blanket?
- Understanding boiler vocab
- How do I properly size my heating system?
- Should I consider replacing my heating system?
- How does an infrared heater work?
- Should I use glycol in my heating system?
- What is an HRV system?
- Ventilating the bathroom
- How to filter out particulates from the air
- How do I keep my bathroom vent from plugging up?
- How does recirculation mode on an HRV work, and is it safe in a cold climate?
- What should I look for when buying an energy efficient house?
- What are inexpensive ways to reduce my energy costs?
- What is the Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings?
- What are compact florescent lights?
- What are some energy-efficient lighting options?
- What are some simple items to help conserve energy?
- How can I keep track of my electricity use?
- How do I survive the energy crisis?
- What are the Weatherzation and Energy Rebate programs?
- What are phantom loads?
- How can I save energy at home?
- What are some eco-friendly paints?
- What is Energy Star?
- Green insulations
- How does user behavior impact energy efficiency?
- How much energy do public buildings in Alaska use?
- What are water catchment systems?
- How do I build a rainwater catchment system?
- What is going "green"? (Part 1)
- What is going "green"? (Part 2)
- What is geothermal power?
What are the different types of solar energy and is it viable in Alaska?
- Is wind power a viable energy source in Alaska?
- How does a ground source heat pump work?